November 1, 2023 - November 30, 2023
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Join us for a virtual luncheon with Mark Roush, Principal of Experience Light, to understand the Well Building Standard.
- Date: Thursday, November 16th
- Time: 12:00pm – 1:00pm
- Virtual Location: IES Zoom Meeting Link to be provided prior to event
- In-Person Viewing: Watch the Virtual presentation with other industry members at Hydro Ottawa’s offices, 2711 Hunt Club
- Thank you to Waterman Sales and RAB Design for sponsoring this event.
Lighting and the Well Building Standard
We spend more than 90% of our lives indoors. Studies show strong links between better views, brighter light, and better performance in office environments. The Well Light Concept promotes exposure to light and aims to create lighting environments that are optimal for visual, mental, and biological health.
We know how to design environments that fuel our bodies, keep us moving, inspire our best work and facilitate a good night’s sleep.
The Well Building Standard endeavors to provide an evidence-based process to validate an approach to design for environmental health and well-being.
This seminar explores methods to achieve health and well-being in the Light Concept of the 2019 Well Buildings Standard version 2.0 as it pertains to both electric and daylighting sources.
Discover how the Standard supports circadian stimulus, hormone levels and the sleep-wake cycles of occupants derived through scientific and medical knowledge to promote alertness, better performance, and better sleep quality while potentially reducing obesity, diabetes, depression, breast cancer, sleep disorders and more.
- Translate existing concepts of Well Building Standard into actionable practices to enhance a buildings impact on occupant health and well-being.
- Apply lighting features into a project to leverage electric and daylighting evidence-based techniques for occupant comfort and productivity.
- Discover methods of validating preconditions and optimizations of the Light Concept to achieve Well certification.
- Enable strategies for employing better lighting into environments for circadian and psychological health while reducing negative effects of insufficient spectrum, quantity, duration, and timing of electric lighting.
Meet the Speaker
MARK ROUSH, FIES, LC, M.Arch.
Mark Roush is the principal of Experience Light, a strategic marketing and education consultancy serving clients like Signify/Philips, LG LED/Display, Hubbell, LeGrand/Wattstopper, WESCO, Edison Price and others.
His 44-year career in lighting includes lighting design, lighting education, brand management, strategic and tactical marketing, and business development.
Mark has been on the faculty teaching lighting at two universities, supported Lighting Centers at Philips, Acuity NYC, Lucifer and Holophane and spoken nationally on lighting technology, application, and trends and practices affecting our industry.
He is Past-President (2015-2016), Fellow, and Distinguished Service Award recipient of the Illuminating Engineering Society; Lighting Certified; former President of the International Association of Lighting Designer’s Education Trust and has facilitated the LIGHTFAIR Lighting Innovation Awards for the past 24 years. He lives in San Antonio, Tx.